This year is coming to an end and the new year will begin in a few days. Here is a brief overview of the major events that took place in 2020.
Since the beginning of this year, the world has been plagued by the Corona virus epidemic, which has increased over time, and by the end of the year the Corona epidemic could not be eradicated, which is a cause for concern۔ However, it is also reassuring to note that in the history of medicine, if a vaccine for a disease has been developed in a short period of time, that is the coronavirus. China, the United Kingdom and the United States have developed a total of four types of vaccines that are being administered to patients in many countries. At the start of the new year, it is possible that the vaccine will be widely used around the world and that the coronavirus epidemic will be eradicated by 2021.
Covide 19 disease, which is spread by a virus called Novel Corona, started in December 2019 in the Chinese city of Yuhan. In three months, the virus spread all over the world. Finally, on March 12, 2020, the World Health Organization declared the new coronavirus a global epidemic because it had spread to more than 100 countries by then. The second wave of the corona virus continues around the world.
A third wave of coronavirus has been discovered in the UK, which is more dangerous than the first two waves. According to the latest reports, this third wave of Corona virus has spread to 17 countries. The Corona virus has killed nearly 1.6 million people worldwide so far, with a total of more than 74.8 million infected.
1. Global conflict continued in 2020, and earlier this year, on January 3, near the airport in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, the United States carried out a drone strike on General Qasim Soleimani, head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards’ Quds Force. After the attack, President Trump posted a picture of the American flag on his Twitter account. The US president said in his Twitter message that this should have been done long ago.
Iran announced a full response to the incident, and the next day a rocket hit a U.S. military base in the Green Zone of the Iraqi capital, Baghdad. Iraqi military officials said the rocket landed in the High Zone area of the Green Zone, where the US embassy is located, and sirens sounded in the US embassy compound as the attack progressed.
2. In January 2020, Prince Harry of the British royal family and his wife, Meghan Markle, announced their resignation from the monarchy. The Queen of Great Britain and the rest of the world were shocked to hear this announcement. The royal couple decided to spend most of their time in North America and take steps to become independent. It is noteworthy that the year 2019 proved to be quite tough for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle as many more controversial news came out in the media including the differences with the elder brother Prince William. That’s why Prince Harry announced that he would continue some royal duties but set up a new charity once he became financially independent.
3. On February 24, 2020, a series of riots and violent incidents began in North East Delhi. More than 53 people, mostly Muslims, were killed and more than 200 were injured. In the middle of the night of February 20, 2020, 500 to 1000 women gathered in the area of Saleempur Jaffarabad Road in North East Delhi to protest and the protesters blocked the roads at Saleempur Metro Station. Later, after a speech by a BJP leader, Hindu extremists attacked protesters and set fire to Muslim shops and houses. It would not be wrong to say that Hindutva fires were raging in India under the Modi government throughout the year and minorities were forced to live in India.
4. A peace agreement was signed between the United States and the Taliban on February 29, 2020. The agreement was signed by Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar and US Special Envoy Zalmai Khalilzad.
According to the agreement, al-Qaeda and ISIS will be banned, while the US military will withdraw from Afghanistan in the next 14 months. It was decided that recruitment and fundraising for terrorist organizations would not be allowed and 8600 foreign troops would be withdrawn within the next 135 days while all foreign forces would be withdrawn from Afghanistan within the next 14 months. More than 50 countries participated in the peace deal between the United States and the Taliban at a local hotel in Doha.
5. On June 10, 2020, there was a clash on the Sino-Indian border where it was costly for India to enter the Chinese border. China repulsed the invading Indian troops. 20 Indian soldiers, including a colonel, were killed in Ladakh 135 Indian soldiers were injured in the clashes, while 45 Indian soldiers went missing. A well-known Indian journalist has raised questions about India’s foreign policy. He tweeted about the confrontation with Pakistan on the Line of Control, the fight with China on the Line of Control, the tension with Nepal, the anger of Bangladesh and the expulsion of India from the Afghan negotiating table, how India get into this situation?.
5. The most significant event of the year 2020 is the defeat of US President Trump in the election and the emergence of Joe Biden as the newly elected President. On November 7 this year, Democratic candidate Joe Biden was elected the 46th President of the United States. After the victory, Joe Biden said، “I am proud to lead this great country”. This is the first time in US history that a US presidential candidate has received 47 million votes. Trump could not bear his defeat and refused to accept the election results. He then went to the US Supreme Court, but failed, and thus Biden was correctly elected the 46th President of the United States. Joe Biden will assume the presidency in January, the first month of next year.
6. On November 10, Armenia signed a complete ceasefire agreement with Azerbaijan. The Armenian army suffered heavy casualties in the ongoing war between the two countries. Meanwhile, it was claimed that Azerbaijan has also gained control of the important area of Nagorno-Karabakh, Shousha. After the Armenian government conceded defeat and surrendered in the war, Armenians stormed the prime minister’s office and besieged the presidency and other government offices.
China established itself as a world economic and defense power in 2020 and undoubtedly deserved to become a superpower.
On December 4 this year, China became the second country to fly the flag to the moon. In images released by China’s National Space Administration, the Chinese flag can be seen standing still on the surface of the moon because there is no wind on the moon, so the flag cannot be waved. This image was taken from China’s unmanned lunar mission “Cheng 5” spacecraft, which was sent to bring samples of rocks from the surface of the moon. Chinese missions to the moon twice before had the Chinese flag, but it was not mounted on the surface of the moon but was engraved in the body of the spacecraft and the vehicle used in the research mission. In less than a month, China’s historic space mission returned and landed in Inner Mongolia on the night of December 16.
Year 2020 in a nutshell;
If we look at the year 2020 in a nutshell, the balance of power in the world has shifted from the West to Asia, and where President Trump’s policies have weakened the US grip on many important global issues, China, Russia and Turkey emerges as the new game changer.
We hope that the coming year 2021 will be a year of mercy, blessings and peace for the whole world. May the new year be a year of deliverance from all the troubles and sorrows that we have to face in the year 2020.